Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Research Question

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the invite and I'll start posting stuff soon and commenting on people's stuff.

I have a question in people's research methods. How do you guys research? Is it different per assignment?

I use Google primarily for research but then I make a list of words on the characteristics of the assignment. For example if I have to do a character design of RoboCop, I would then not only look up the obvious: "robotics", "robotics parts", "modern robots", "military robots", etc. I look up those words on thesaurus.com and search on the synonyms on those words to spice up the search engine. Then go on a tangent with the searches and combine different words. Sometimes it works but just wanted to see if anyone else has any other good techniques.

For character reference I go to:


http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/
http://artsyposes.com/
and sometimeshttp://ffffound.com/

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ed!

    Welcome. :) Glad you'll be joining us.

    As for reference I generally tend to be using Google as well. I really like your synonym idea. I got to try that next time.

    Lately I've been really loving pinterest.com for references on environments and props. They let you make categories on that site, so I've been just building my library there.

    I think Jason and James uses flikr a lot for references too.

    Nice topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa thanks! I never heard of pinterest, I'll def save that one.

    ReplyDelete